COMMUNITY WATER FORUM
Fire and Flood: Climate Change & Extreme Weather in the Okanagan
Date: Wednesday, November 21, from 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Location: Innovation Centre (Theatre), 460 Doyle Ave.
Opening Remarks: Richard Armstrong, Okanagan Nation Alliance
Keynote Speaker: Ray Crampton, District Manager, Okanagan Shuswap Natural Resource District, Province of British Columbia
Topic: “Addressing the New Normal: 21st Century Disaster Management in British Columbia” (Independent Review of the 2017 flood/wildfire seasons and the Government's Action Plan: Responding to Wildfire and Flood Risks)
Registration: Registration is now closed for the 2018 Community Water Forum.
About the Presentation:
Fire, smoke, flood, drought are becoming a new reality in the Central Okanagan and across the entire Northern Hemisphere. Our emergency response systems are being tested like never before with wildfires, flooding and drought increasing in frequency and intensity. Join experts from our community, the Province of BC, and UBC Okanagan for a compelling conversation about the accelerated disruption our community is facing and what is needed to restore balance and create a more sustainable future in B.C.
- Denise Neilsen, Research Scientist, Summerland Research and Development Centre (retired); Okanagan Basin Water Board (OBWB) Water Stewardship Council Chair (Climate Change Modelling)
- David Scott, Associate Professor, UBC Okanagan (Effect of Wildfires on Soils)
- Leif Burge, Adjunct Professor, UBC Okanagan; Senior Associate, Fluvial Geomorphlogy, Stantec (Flood Response)
- Cailyn Glasser, Biologist, Okanagan Nation Alliance (Indigenous knowledge; ecosystem restoration)
- Ray Crampton, District Manager, Okanagan Shuswap Natural Resource District, Province of British Columbia; Okanagan Basin Water Board (OBWB) Water Stewardship Council Member
4:15 p.m. Registration
4:30 p.m. Opening Remarks
4:45 p.m. Keynote Presentation
5:00 p.m. Panel Discussion
5:30 p.m. Audience Q&A
5:50 p.m. Closing Remarks
6:00 p.m. Networking Reception
6:30 p.m. Reception Ends
About the Community Water Forum:
The Community Water Forum is an annual event hosted by UBC Okanagan’s Office of the Vice-Principal Research, in partnership with the Okanagan Basin Water Board-Okanagan WaterWise.
The forum provides an opportunity for open, solution-oriented dialogue on topics of shared interest and concern in our community and is supported by the Leading Edge Endowment Fund (LEEF) BC Regional Innovation Chair in Water Resources and Ecosystem Sustainability (Dr. John Janmaat) and the Endowed Research Chairs in Watershed Management (Dr. David Scott and Dr. Adam Wei).
Last reviewed 11/21/2018 12:39:12 PM